Frequently asked questions

Emission class

Which law or regulation constitutes the legal grounds for penalising unauthorised road use due to incorrect emission classification?

Section 14(b) of the Toll Act.

Which law or regulation mandates data provision for the purpose of accurately setting the emission class of heavy-duty vehicles?

Such data provision is governed by the following laws and regulations: Section 4(1) and Section 26 of the Toll Act; Sections 2, 3, 26 of and Annex 1 to the Government Decree on the implementation of the Toll Act; and NTPS Plc.’s General Terms and Conditions.

What do I need to do to register my vehicle? What data do I need to submit for setting the emission class of my heavy-duty vehicle? Where should I submit them, and what format should I use when uploading the necessary documents?

To set the correct emission class (Euro code) for your vehicle, you need to submit three pieces of information (make, year of manufacture and VIN number of your heavy-duty vehicle) using the online platform. You will also need to upload a certificate/document verifying the correctness of the indicated emission class, in .jpg or .pdf format. Note: you may only upload up to two files, with a maximum file size of 2 MB each. If you wish to register more than two documents, we recommend saving them into a single file and uploading them together as a single .pdf.

Does registration cost money?


Which is the worst emission class?

The worst emission class (Euro 0) includes vehicles that cannot be classified into any of the existing Euro categories.

I can’t see whether I have correctly uploaded all the necessary data and documents. Is there a way I can check my uploads?

If you have not received an error message, then your uploads were successful and have been saved, meaning that there is nothing more you need to do. If you did manage to save everything, you can check your uploaded images and data by going back to the registration page and clicking on the uploaded files (you can click on the image links to open them in a new window).

What should I do if the engine was replaced in my heavy-duty vehicle?

Any changes in the motor vehicle’s data should be indicated in the official documents as well. The contracted toll payer is responsible for having all such modifications registered. The data will also need to be modified on the data sheets of motor vehicles registered within the HU-GO system, in order to ensure that fees are paid in accordance with actual data, thereby avoiding unauthorised road use.

Will only foreign carriers need to provide and upload the data necessary for verifying the correctness of the vehicle’s emission class into NTPS Plc.’s electronic system?

Since December 2018, all users can enter the new type of registration data (make, year of manufacture, VIN number, vehicle registration certificate) required for verifying the vehicle’s emission class on the website. As of 3 February 2019, however, this information will be mandatory for anyone registering vehicles with foreign country codes or modifying the data of previously registered vehicles with foreign registration numbers. Important notice: as per the GTC, it is the customer’s responsibility to make sure that the data provided is correct, and that they have uploaded the necessary documents in the appropriate format. In order to avoid toll fines, it is in the interest of all carriers to state the correct emission class of their vehicle and to verify the proper classification with authentic documents and data. For Hungarian carriers, uploading is not mandatory but merely an option.

I have a contract with a toll declaration operator. Who is responsible for providing accurate data for setting the emission class of the heavy-duty vehicle?

Making sure that the data is accurate and correctly uploaded remains the responsibility of the contracted toll payer, not the toll declaration operator.

If a mobile group inspection establishes that unauthorised road use has occurred due to my heavy-duty vehicle’s incorrect emission classification, will the emission class be corrected at the location of the inspection?

No. The road user will have to correct the emission class afterwards.

If I fail to correct the emission class set for my heavy-duty vehicle, will I be subject to additional toll fines after the inspection?

Yes, if—as a result of the mistake—you have purchased a cheaper category road use authorisation than would be appropriate for your vehicle based on its correct emission class. After the inspection, our company will issue a fine alert to notify you that a correction is needed. This will allow you to correct the problem shortly after it is detected, and thereby avoid additional, heavier toll fines. However, it is currently only possible to evaluate the correctness of emission classes during roadside inspections.

How many toll fines can I receive in a single day?

You can be subject to no more than one toll fine per eight hours.

What is the amount of the toll fine I can be subject to if the category set for my vehicle is incorrect?

As per Annex 11/H to Government Decree No. 156/2009 (VII. 29.), the toll fine imposed for such violation may extend from HUF 24,000 to HUF 165,000 (depending on the category of the heavy-duty vehicle and the duration of unauthorised road use).

What is the statute of limitations for incurring a toll fine based on an incorrect emission class?

The competent authority must deliver its decision with regards to the offence within 150 days of the violation.

I do not have any documentation for my tolled motor vehicle that would allow me to verify the correctness of its emission class. What should I upload?

The emission class is listed in most vehicle registration certificates (see field V.9). If this information is not listed in your vehicle registration certificate either, the competent authority with jurisdiction in the area where the business is registered can issue a CEMT-ECMT certificate, which will allow you to verify the emission class if the vehicle was first registered within the European Union. If your vehicle was registered outside the European Union, you will be requested to upload whatever official document is used in the country in question to clearly verify the correctness of the stated emission class.